Vision and ethos
The Bishop's Stortford Educational Trust (BSET) was established in 2015 to create a co-operative, forward-thinking educational organisation to support provision from Early Years to Post-16 and beyond for the town of Bishop's Stortford and its surrounding villages. The Trust was created to formalise an already effective partnership between local primary and secondary schools and draws on the individual strengths of each institution. This collaboration is not only community-based, but is the only Trust at present to include the state and independent sectors working together to provide high quality education.
Our broad aims, set out below, are concurrent with recent changes to national educational policy.
Our 10 key aims include:
- To provide a strategic overview of school provision to ensure sufficient places are made available for primary and secondary schools to meet local demand - this includes bidding to sponsor new and existing schools
- To provide support and advice for schools in order to adhere to the Department for Education's (DfE) academisation programme by 2022
- To provide effective professional development for staff and share school-to-school expertise
- To provide peer-to-peer school support regarding educational standards
- To support Initial Teacher Training and staff recruitment by providing local teacher placement and collective teacher recruitment
- To invest in effective school-led research and development
- To support financial procurement through collective purchasing power
- To work collectively with regards to curriculum planning and resourcing
- To develop and enhance school leadership and governance
- To engage fully with our local community to ensure that provision meets demand